Wednesday, October 4, 2023

Microlesson on "Simple Present tense"

Video-Mediated Reflective Microteaching Workshop

Self-feedback and Reflections

 

Lesson             : Simple Present Tense

Level               : Intermediate

Class size        : 08 (my own colleagues in the department)

Supervisor      : Dr P Ramanujam, Director, ELTC

Mentor           : Mr P Raj Kiran

Observer        : Mr J Jaya Prakesh

 

The objectives of my micro teaching

Ø  To familiarize the students with habitual actions and regular actions

Ø  To introduce the structure and formula of simple present

Ø  To clear the doubts of the students on the subject

Micro teaching is a technique of teaching. It is used to enhance teaching skills among the teachers. It was my maiden micro lesson. Initially, I was a bit hesitant and nervous about teaching a micro lesson before my own colleagues. Thanks to Dr Ramanujam for his suggestions and guidance. As part of micro teaching I had chosen “Simple Present” one of the topics from tenses.  As a lead in, I started my session by asking my students to read the questions on the slide and answer it accordingly and I instructed my students to identify the action words and the key words that are in the sentences. Once they revealed the topic, I explained to them what the simple present tense was and then I moved on formula and structure. Finally, I gave them handout with two exercises.

My Reflections on my micro lesson:

  • I watched my video lesson for 3 times and noticed some positive points and negative points in my micro lesson.
  • I was successful in eliciting the information from the students.
  • I involved the students in the topic and made them active participants in the class.
  •  I was successful in making the students to spell out what the topic was and also handled some of the difficult questions which were posed by my students.

Feedback: I received invaluable suggestions from my observer and the Supervisor

Observer’s Feedback: Mr Jaya Prakesh J

  • The introduction of the topic was good and energetic. It was good start especially, the way I prepared questions.
  •  It was systematic and there was a smooth transition from teaching to asking questions and eliciting answers from the students.
  • I made the students to reveal what the topic was about
  • When students asked questions, I handled them well without hesitation.
  • Suggested me to provide the examples on a verb ends with ies

Examples: cry-cries, try-tries, carry-carries.

Supervisor’s feedback: Dr P Ramanujam,

  • It was quite good.
  • Taught the lesson with absolute confident. The use of simple present in regular, routine context.
  • Handled two difficult questions well like

For example:

1. What time do you have lunch in the afternoon?

2. Can we use simple present without using keywords like regularly,   usually, always?

 

  • Suggested me to focus on content rather than structure.
  • Suggested me to give conversation showing regular and non regular actions.

My action plan for improvement

Keeping in mind the feedback of my observer and supervisor

  • I shall be very conscious and studious  in collecting information and also while preparing slides
  • I shall focus on the content of the topic rather than formula
  • I shall reduce teacher talk and give opportunity to the students to talk.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Reflection on microlesson

 This video is a reflection on my microlesson and the feedback received from my mentor, observer, and my supervisor, Dr. Ramanujam Parthasa...